By Rebecca Zemencik, Managing Editor • email@example.com
HEGINS – The 600 block of Chestnut Street in Hegins was in a bit of a frenzy Sunday evening.
Emergency personnel were on the scene of a hazmat incident at 633 Chestnut Street, the site of the former Hegins Manufacturing, now a private residence.
According to fire personnel, they arrived on scene just before 6 p.m. and weren’t sure exactly what they were dealing with.
“The incident involved a 55-gallon drum of some type of chemical which was leaking in the basement of the building,” said Hegins Valley Fire-Rescue Chief Doug Williams, during a phone interview Monday morning. “He said there was a strong odor of ammonia and there was definitely ammonia present in the drum. What exactly the chemical was used for still hasn’t been determined. It could have been some type of floor cleaner from the days of the factory.”
If you are an existing user, please log in. New users may register below. Call 570-682-9081 with questions. Online subscription is $42.00 per year or 1 day access for $1.00. We will contact you regarding your payment options.