By Rob Wheary, Staff Writer
HEGINS – One hour earlier, Steven Schwalm was eating his sandwich inside his home before heading back to work.
“I ate, took the dog out to do his business, and then brought him back in and went back to work,” Schwalm said. “I got a call an hour later saying, ‘You got to get home, your place is on fire.’ “
The 2:33 p.m. fire Monday is believed to have started in the basement of the single-family dwelling at 159 W. Mountain Road and started to move up into the walls quickly.
“Chief Radel and the Sacramento first responders on scene found heavy smoke pushing out of the roof and the rear of the building,” Hegins Valley Fire Rescue chief Doug Williams said Monday. “There was heavy fire in the basement that extended into the walls and ascended into the attic.”
If you are an existing user, please log in. New users may register below. Call 570-682-9081 with questions. Online subscription is $49.00 per year. We will contact you regarding your payment options.