TOWER CITY – Now there are three.
Three Stroups sit on the Williams Valley School Board, after Joanna Stroup took the oath of office September 24.
Joanna Stroup, of Wiconisco Township, 2nd precinct, represents Area II, and fills the vacancy and unexpired term left by former board director Angela Miller.
Joanna joins Board President Daniel Stroup, and director Christopher Stroup in sharing the same last name, although she’s not related to the two, who are brothers. Joanna’s mother, Helen Evans, of Williamstown, attended the meeting in support of her daughter, as other directors and district administrators welcomed her aboard. Christopher Stroup was absent.
The board also extended a welcome to new teachers. They included: Heather Shertzer, Art, Halifax; Kristin Baker, 4th grade, Harrisburg; Adam Pfeiffer, Business Education, Scranton; Ellie Weaver, Elementary Special Education, Pillow; and Elise Bordner, Instrumental Music, Lykens.
Maria Strouse, High School Special Education, of Port Carbon, is another new hire, but she did not attend the meeting.
In other personnel matters, the board accepted the resignation of High School Instrumental Music Teacher Keith Gromis, effective September 30, 2015. Directors also approved the termination of an elementary custodian, effective immediately.
Superintendent Dr. Donald Burkhardt thanked Ravine Transportation, Inc., for providing a bus to transport the Williams Valley girls’ soccer team to practice on a turf field. The trip was provided free of charge to the district.
Business Manager Anthony Aukstakalnis provided the board with updated copies of architectural plans for adding an addition to the existing weight room.
In other matters, the board approved:
– Payment of bills, with director David Ferraro abstaining.
– Amending a motion made at the September 10, 2015 public meeting hiring Head Volleyball Coach Christiana Snyder, of Williamstown, to include “85-percent of salary due to being a first-year coach”.
– Adding Megan R. Harner, of Pottsville, to the substitute teacher list for the 2015-16 school year.
– Adding Jill Johns, of Tower City, to the event staff for the 2015-16 school year, with director Tedd Johns abstaining.
– A request from elementary teachers to conduct Afternoon Literature Club meetings from October 19 to November 18, 2015 every Monday and Wednesday from 3:15 to 4:15 p.m. for students in grades 4, 5 and 6 who have an A in classroom reading and scored advanced on the PSSA test in reading. Parents will provide transportation for their children. The following teachers will be facilitating the program: Wendy Hueston and Jennifer Matz, with Edith Tanner as a substitute teacher.
– Programs offered by Dauphin County Drug & Alcohol, at no cost to the district.
– Family and Medical Leave request from elementary teacher Katie Brown, tentatively for January 15, 2016 until March 14, 2016.
– A letter of agreement for Student Assistance Program Services between Keystone Human Services and the Jr.-Sr. high school for the 2015-16 school year.
– Granting permission for the Boy Scouts of America to do a short presentation on Cub Scouting with the boys at the elementary school.
– Adding the following to the substitute teacher list for the 2015-16 school year: Jordan Franko, of Port Carbon; and Courtney Jones, of New Ringgold.
– Hiring David M. Minnich, of Williamstown, as a volunteer wrestling coach for the 2015-16 school year.
– The district’s Chapter 339 Guidance Plan. Burkhardt thanked the district’s guidance department for work on the plan.