Band grading options eyed at Wms. Valley
Published: October 11, 2012
Font size: [A] [A] [A]
TOWER CITY - A Williamstown man brought concerns about policies affecting the Viking Pride Marching Band to the Williams Valley School Board's attention during a recent meeting.
District resident Jim Shuttlesworth addressed directors September 27, expressing his disappointment with the board for not following the September 13th agenda. That agenda had listed a discussion of Policy 122.1 Extra Curricular Eligibility and Marching Band and whether or not the band course should be a pass/fail subject, or a graded subject. Students currently taking the band course receive a percentage/letter grade and the course is not presently offered as pass/fail.
The board has not yet made a decision about the grading situation with the band and did not address the policy during the September 13 meeting. The school board's next public meeting is this Thursday, October 11 at 7:30 p.m.
Shuttlesworth also questioned the board's decisions in regards to the band equipment bus and the Band Boosters' responsibilities, as well as the Band Boosters setting up a walking tacos stand outside of the refreshment stand at Viking Stadium, Williamstown.
In other business, the board approved application for payment #3 to Mazzuca Enterprises in the amount of $30,770.75 for the district's sewer project. The directors also approved two change orders from Mazzuca - one in the amount of $2,127.50 for replacement of a meter; and one for $9,900 to install a concrete pad and fencing for a portable power supply.
In other matters, among the items the board approved were:
- Hiring Bernard Walasavage, Minersville, as the choral director for the Jr.-Sr. High School, with a salary per the collective bargaining agreement. Director Richard Updegrove was absent.
- Hiring the following coaches for the 2-12-13 school year: Wrestling assistant coach, Jason Chamberlain, Williamstown; Volunteer Assistant Coaches, Chris Cooper, Elysburg; Dylan Smith and David Minnich, Williamstown; and David Raho, Tower City; Boys Basketball- Jr. High Coach Keith Thompson, Wiconisico; Volunteer Assistant Coaches, Charles Culton and Denny Kasper Jr., Williamstown.
- Department Chairs and Advisors for the 2012-13 school year.
- Substitute teachers for the 2012-13 school year.
- A drug and alcohol presentation for 2nd and 3rd grade students on October 9, 10, and 26, 2012, as presented by Diane Rowland, Prevention Services Coordinator of Schuylkill County Drug & Alcohol Program. She will also give future presentations, and the program will provide a 4th grade curriculum called "Keep A Clear Mind".
- A request from the elementary teachers to conduct Afternoon Literature Club meetings from October 17-November 19, 2012 every Monday and Wednesday from 3:15 p.m.-4:15 p.m. for students in grades 4-6 who have an A in classroom reading and scored advanced on their PSSA test in reading. (Parents will provide transportation for their children.) The following teachers will facilitate the program: Wendy Babcock and Jennifer Matz; substitute, Edith Tanner.
- Staff for the 21st Century After School Program: Susan Diegert (site coordinator), 5th grade language arts; Wendy Babcock (assistant site coordinator), 3rd grade; Sharon Patrick, 4th grade; Jennifer Minnich, 3rd grade; Kristina Miller, reading specialist; Edith Tanner, special education; Paul Cherry, 6th grade math; Carmen Moore, 5th grade science/health; Mandi Jobe, 5th grade history; LeAnn Unger, 5th grade math; Matthew Yoder, technology-computers; and Morgan Williard, PSSA Prep.
- A request from Rev. Benjamin Brown of Reigles Bible Fellowship, Millersburg, to allow the sale of tickets at the remaining home football games for the upcoming Minstrel Show which will be held at Williams Valley.